Saturday, April 24, 2010

Happy Birthday(s), Bard

It's a weekend for celebration of the birthdays of William Shakespeare. (His actual birthday is not known with certainty; he was baptized on April 26, 1564, and his birthday is generally observed on April 23, so I feel like labeling this a holiday weekend and recognizing the four-day stretch as his "birthdays".)

There's nothing new under the sun that I could say about Shakespeare. His life has been thoroughly - as much as possible, considering how little is actually known - summarized, analyzed, picked apart and re-synthesized. I became enamored of his works before I was old enough to really understand them, although Romeo and Juliet was the first one I read, at 14, and I think any teenager can grasp the sentiments there. (OMGZ I love you sooooo much and I'm totes gonna KILL MYSELF AND DIE if I can't be with you, waahhhh!!! Ah, high school.) While I may have been an English major, I'm no scholar and don't have much interest in a mini-dissertation on a subject that's been dissertationed like nobody's business. Just don't come up in here with that "He didn't write the plays" bullshit or I'll chase you around with a bullhorn, yelling refutations and accusations of classism until your eardrums burst and you collapse in a heap, at which point I will scrawl "ANTI-STRATFORDIAN" on your body with a quill pen.

In lieu of a lengthy pseudo-essay, I'd rather simply include one of my favorite passages, from Act III, Scene II of The Winter's Tale. Queen Hermione has been thrown in prison by her husband King Leontes, who publicly accused her of infidelity and declared that the child she was carrying was not his. Here she is brought before him and the court and defends herself against these charges, as well as claims that she aided in the escape of Polixenes, the man she is accused of having an affair with, and that she conspired to kill her husband with Camillo, a man the king had ordered to poison Polixenes.

Leontes: Read the indictment.

Officer: [Reads] Hermione, queen to the worthy
Leontes, king of Sicilia, thou art here accused
and arraigned of high treason, in committing
adultery with Polixenes, king of Bohemia, and
conspiring with Camillo to take away the life
of our sovereign lord the king, the royal hus-
band: the pretence whereof being by circum-
stances partly laid open, thou, Hermione,
contrary to the faith and allegiance of a true
subject, didst counsel and aid them, for their
better safety, to fly away by night.

Hermione: Since what I am to say must be but that
Which contradicts my accusation and
The testimony on my part no other
But what comes from myself, it shall scarce boot me
To say "not guilty." Mine integrity
Being counted falsehood, shall, as I express it,
Be so received. But thus: if powers divine
Behold our human actions, as they do,
I doubt not then but innocence shall make
False accusation blush and tyranny
Tremble at patience. You, my lord, best know,
Who least will seem to do so, my past life
Hath been as continent, as chaste, as true,
As I am now unhappy; which is more
Than history can pattern, though devised
And play'd to take spectators. For behold me
A fellow of the royal bed, which owe
A moiety of the throne, a great king's daughter,
The mother to a hopeful prince, here standing
To prate and talk for life and honour 'fore
Who please to come and hear. For life, I prize it
As I weigh grief, which I would spare: for honour,
'Tis a derivative from me to mine,
And only that I stand for. I appeal
To your own conscience, sir, before Polixenes
Came to your court, how I was in your grace,
How merited to be so; since he came,
With what encounter so uncurrent I
Have strain'd to appear thus: if one jot beyond
The bound of honour, or in act or will
That way inclining, harden'd be the hearts
Of all that hear me, and my near'st of kin
Cry fie upon my grave!

Leontes: I ne'er heard yet
That any of these bolder vices wanted
Less impudence to gainsay what they did
Than to perform it first.

Hermione: That's true enough;
Though 'tis a saying, sir, not due to me.

Leontes: You will not own it.

Hermione: More than mistress of
Which comes to me in name of fault, I must not
At all acknowledge. For Polixenes
With whom I am accused, I do confess
I loved him as in honour he required,
With such a kind of love as might become
A lady like me, with a love even such,
So and no other, as yourself commanded:
Which not to have done I think had been in me
Both disobedience and ingratitude
To you and toward your friend, whose love had spoke,
Even since it could speak, from an infant, freely
That it was yours. Now, for conspiracy,
I know now how it tastes; though it be dish'd
For me to try how: all I know if it
Is that Camillo was an honest man;
And why he left your court, the gods themselves
Wotting no more than I, are ignorant.

Leontes: You knew of his departure, as you know
What you have underta'en to do in 's absence.

Hermione: Sir,
You speak a language that I understand not:
My life stands in the level of your dreams.
Which I'll lay down.

Leontes: Your actions are my dreams;
You had a bastard by Polixenes,
And I but dream'd it. As you were past all shame, --
Those of your fact are so -- so past all truth:
Which to deny concerns more than avails; for as
Thy brat hath been cast out, like to itself,
No father owning it, -- which is, indeed,
More criminal in thee than it, -- so thou
Shalt feel our justice, in whose easiest passage
Look for no less than death.

Hermione: Sir, spare your threats:
The bug which you would fright me with I seek.
To me can life be no commodity:
The crown and comfort of my life, your favour,
I do give lost; for I do feel it gone,
But know not how it went. My second joy
And first-fruits of my body, from his presence
I am barr'd, like on infectious. My third comfort,
Starr'd most unluckily, is from my breast,
The innocent milk in it most innocent mouth,
Haled out to murder: myself on every post
Proclaim'd a strumpet: with immodest hatred
The child-bed privilege denied, which 'longs
To women of all fashion; lastly, hurried
Here to this place, i' the open air, before
I have got strength of limit. Now, my liege,
Tell me what blessings I have here alive
That I should fear to die? Therefore proceed.
But yet hear this; mistake me not; no life,
I prize it not a straw, but for mine honour,
Which I would free, if I shall be condemn'd
Upon surmises, all proofs sleeping else
But what your jealousies awake, I tell you
'Tis rigour and not law. Your honours all,
I so refer me to the oracle:
Apollo be my judge!





No comments:

Post a Comment