Monday, April 5, 2010

Let's Get Meta!

Subtitled: Blogging About Blogging – everyone loves to do it!


When I started this blog, it was mostly out of a need to rant and blather. Having no one around to hear it, and not wanting to just grouse all day in comment sections of other blogs, I thought, “Do it already. Give in. Start a blog like everyone and their mother.” (Oh God…does MY mother have a blog? Let’s not think about that right now.)


While every random person who chooses a pithy blog name and a pre-made template that conveys their personal serious-but-still-fun-because-LOOK-purple-links attitude probably secretly hopes to become a Big Blog that is linked in other Big Blogs’ blogrolls and in their linkfest posts and have people say “Oh yeah, I read about that on ”, I think we also all realize that’s rather unlikely. I don’t care much about it at the end of the day, but one issue that arises from not having readers and not being known is there’s no pressure on you to keep it up. No one commenting on old posts saying “Hey, where are you? Everything okay? Why haven’t you written about this, that, or the other thing?” No one emailing links to outrageous (in the good or bad sense) articles and asking you to write about it in that way that only you can. No one tweeting their despair at the silence of your keystrokes. When no one laments your absence, it’s hard to maintain a presence, even if praise and page views aren’t your lifeblood.


So, eh…I let it go for a while. One of the good things about casual blogging is that it’s easy to pick it back up, right? Even though I do now have someone to listen to my rantings – and who actually seems to enjoy it, because he’s totally amazing like that (lucky me!) – I would like to get back in the habit of working out my thoughts and forcing them into somewhat-sense-making sentences. I plan for it to last.


Famous last words, right? Good thing it’s just the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment